Treatment Tips/Patient Education
In addition to counseling patients about any prescription medication that is ordered, the pharmacist should also educate the patient about other methods to alleviate symptoms.
1. A heating pad can help with the pain.
2. Over-the-counter analgesics can also be recommended for pain.
3. Advise patients to drink lots of water and urinate frequently.
4. Advise patient to urinate shortly after sexual intercourse
5. Wipe from front to back after urinating or a bowel movement.
6. Avoid bubble baths while symptomatic because this can cause irritation.
7. Cranberry extracts may help prevent further UTI’s