- Avoid touching lesions as this can lead to transmission. Toothbrushes should be changed as they can harbor the virus for days leading to
- Counsel the patient that they can spread the cold sore by kissing, sharing utensils, glassware, water bottles, towels, razors, , and by participating in oral sex.
- You can spread the virus even when active lesions are not present, but you are much more likely to do so when an active sore is
- If lesions do not heal completely after the initial round of treatment, please see your provider, as you may need a longer course of treatment or diagnostic
- If you develop fever, swollen glands, inability to swallow or painful swallowing, malaise, nausea, or vomiting, seek medical care